Visitors are welcome at the research neutron source Heinz Maier-Leibnitz (FRM II). Every year, around 3,500 visitors make demands on this offer. As a special service for schools and student groups we arrange tours guided with scientists.
Tours for students of the Technical University of Munich are offered once a month. A previous online registration is mandatory. Please visit the website of the Physics Department for the exact dates and registration procedures.
Please book your visit in advance by phone or email to the visitor's service, who will be pleased to meet your wishes. Please schedule at least two hours for your visit.
As a nuclear facility we have access rules that you absolutely have to obey. The rules are for your and our security. So, e.g. you cannot take with you any dangerous objects, drinks or food into the reactor building.
Important access rules are
- Minimum age: 18 years (pupils and students from 16 years),
- valid identity card or passport, non-EU citizens need a valid passport (residence permits or driver's licenses are not accepted),
- maximum 18 persons (exceptions for school classes are possible),
- no access to the control area for pregnant women and nursing mothers,
- no cameras or mobile phones allowed (personal items can be left at our checkroom),
- long pants (covered legs) and closed shoes are obligatory (visitors' path leads over gratings for longer distances),
- No completely barrier-free access. Please inform us about your requirements, together we will find a solution!
For the overall program of all participants on the open day, visit www.forschung-garching.de.